Position: Executive Director
Supervised by: Board of Directors
Classification: Full-Time Exempt
Date Posted: January 17, 2020
The Alliance Française de Sacramento is seeking a dynamic leader with a passion for the French language and culture and a bold vision for our future. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall direction of the organization, including overseeing the French language program, cultural events, marketing, administration, fundraising, budgeting, and planning. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and serves as the primary liaison between board members, staff, students, members, volunteers, sponsors, donors, and community partners.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The Alliance Française de Sacramento is the Capital Region’s primary French language and culture center. Founded in 2000 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, the Alliance now counts more than 300 students per session and 600 members and is celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. We are an independent chapter of the Alliance Française, the largest cultural network in the world.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management & Administration
- Hires and supervises staff, independent contractors, and volunteers.
- Oversees financial administration, including payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- In conjunction with the Executive Committee, makes budget projections and coordinates the organization’s financial activities.
- Negotiates and approves contracts or agreements with suppliers, distributors, agencies, or other entities.
- Performs daily administrative functions; communicates with members, students, staff, partners, vendors, building management, tenants, sponsors, donors, board members, and affiliated organizations; orders and purchases equipment and supplies; runs errands as needed.
- Formulates strategic plan for the organization in coordination with the Board of Directors.
- Hires, supervises, and counsels teachers.
- Develops curriculum for adult classes, children’s program, summer camps, and workshops.
- Creates class schedules; assists with registration; advises students on course selection; resolves conflicts.
- Implements marketing plan to grow all phases of language program.
Events, Fundraising, & Outreach
- Plans and executes a variety of events to promote the francophone culture, market the Alliance Française, and raise funds for the organization.
- Implements fundraising plan, including annual fund, major donors, sponsors, and fundraising events.
- Creates strategies to attract and retain members.
- Develops partnerships with other organizations, schools, companies, and local governments.
- Represents the Alliance Française at community, state, and national events; attends the annual AF Federation and AF Directors’ meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university with a degree in education, French language, nonprofit management, or related field; or four years of related experience; or equivalent combination. Experience in teaching French as a foreign language preferred.
- Leadership experience in supervising, fundraising, event planning, and public speaking highly desired.
- Ability to collaborate with staff, volunteers, board members, business executives, community groups, civic leaders, and other individuals.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends and occasional travel.
- Proficiency in computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and a willingness to learn other programs used by the organization.
- Proficiency in both French and English (spoken and written).
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
To successfully perform the essential functions of the Executive Director, the employee is required to sit often and use their hands and fingers to manipulate keys on a keyboard. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, and lift approximately 20 pounds on occasion; stoop, kneel, or squat; and drive a vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described physical requirements.
The Alliance Française de Sacramento provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or genetics.
Send resume along with two written cover letters, one in English and one in French, describing how you would apply your background to accomplish the mission of the Alliance Française de Sacramento to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Position open until filled.