The Alliance Française offers beginner, intermediate and advanced classes for adults, including classes in literature, travel, cinema and conversation. We use the Common European Framework of References for Languages, an international system that defines levels of language proficiency.
If you are new to our classes, we strongly recommend that you take the online placement test.
In response to COVID19, the Alliance is keeping its social distance by only offering online classes until further notice. See you online!
Students at the A1 level can:
- Recognize and use familiar words and simple phrases for concrete purposes
- Introduce themselves or someone else
- Ask and answer basic questions about home, family, surroundings, etc.
- Communicate in a basic way when the other person speaks slowly and clearly, and is ready to repeat or reformulate to help communication
A2: ADVANCED BEGINNER
Students at the A2 level can:
- Understand phrases and expressions of high personal relevance (personal or family information, shopping, immediate environment, work, etc.)
- Communicate during easy or habitual tasks requiring a basic and direct information exchange on familiar subjects
- Using simple words, describe their surroundings and communicate immediate needs
Students at the B1 level can:
- Understand the main points of clear standard speech on subjects in work, school, leisure activities, etc.
- Manage in most situations that come up when traveling in a region where the language is spoken
- Produce a simple and cohesive text on familiar subjects or subjects of personal interest
- Narrate an event, an experience or a dream
- Describe a desire or goal, and outline reasons or explanations behind a project or idea
B2: ADVANCED INTERMEDIATE
Students at the B2 level can:
- Understand the main ideas of concrete or abstract topics in a complex text, including a technical article in the user’s area of expertise
- Communicate with a degree of spontaneity and fluency during a conversation with a native speaker, in a way that is comfortable for everyone
- Speak in a clear, detailed way on a number of subjects; express an opinion on current affairs, giving the advantages and disadvantages of the various options
Students at the C1 level can:
- Understand a wide range of long and complex texts, including any subtextual or stylistic nuances
- Express themselves freely and fluidly, without obviously fumbling for words
- Use the language effectively and fluently in a social, professional or academic context
- Speak in a clear, organized way about complex subjects, developing a well-structured argument
C2: ADVANCED MASTER
Students at the C2 level can:
- Effortlessly understand almost everything they read or hear
- Produce a coherent summary of events or arguments from oral or written sources
- Express themselves precisely in a spontaneous, fluent way, conveying finer shades of meaning precisely