After years of dreaming and planning, the Alliance Française has moved into the E. Claire Raley Studios for the Performing Arts — now called Clara – in midtown Sacramento. This unique and groundbreaking space will provide studios for arts groups, an auditorium, and a gathering place for neighbors and artists alike.
The City of Sacramento agreed to lease the brick schoolhouse, formerly the Fremont School, at 2420 N Street from the Sacramento school district and sublease it to the Studios for the Performing Arts, which is transforming the building into a home for the Sacramento Ballet as well as a variety of other arts groups.
Opened in 1921, The Fremont School was closed to children in the 1970s due to seismic concerns. It continued until 2012 as an adult education center,but then remained empty until its current renovation which now brings the building up to present day standards.
The 47,000 square-foot arts center will create a home for a diverse mix of dance, music and cultural groups. Current studio tenants include:
- Alliance Francaise de Sacramento
- Brazilian Center for Cultural Exchange of Sacramento
- McKeever School of Irish Dance
- Sacramento Ballet
- Capital Stage
- Sacramento Preparatory Music Academy
Our new center features:
- Central location in midtown – just three blocks from our current site
- Large shared parking lot, plus free street parking in the neighborhood
- Elevator to our second floor location
- Six large, bright classrooms with high ceilings and natural light
- Spacious library/event room
- Easy access from local freeways
- Walking distance to the Capitol and other midtown attractions
Our new home will enable us to thrive and expand, but the relocation is a huge undertaking and will cost many thousands of dollars. To support the move and to seed a fund for future improvements, we are launching the Alliance à Venir Capital Campaign.
To donate to this ongoing fundraising effort, please check out our Donations page.